Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hitch-hiker

I always thought of myself as a brave person, but compared to my dad, I feel like a complete wimp:) As most of you know, my dad was such a people person! He could be walking down the street and it always seemed that every person we passed he would know. I will never forget impatiently waiting in the truck as a child as my mom and dad always seemed to be the last two people out of any building we went to; why? Because they enjoyed the company of others. This company mostly consisted of close family and friends, church members, fellow co-workers, sports fans, and coaches, but I will always remember the time when the company of another stepped outside of this comfort zone that I was familiar with. One characteristic that I truly admired about by dad was that he loved helping others, especially when he saw one standing by the side of the road, all alone. (Yes, my dad picked up hitch-hikers.) I was a young girl when this first happened, but I will never forget the courage and compassion I saw in his face when he told me the stories these men had shared with him. He loved learning of other people's lives and giving when he could, because we had been so fortunately blessed as a family. Give and you will receive, not necessarily here on this Earth, but in Heaven; this is what I learned through his actions, not his words, and to tell the truth, I believe that actions speak louder than words because I seemed to listen and understand this concept on a deeper lever (please remind me of this when I begin parenting :)). Thank you for showing me how to be a humble person and where to look for people who are always searching for a kind and giving heart.

-Brittany Janae

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome! What a testimony He left and still gives. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your dad has made an impact on my life.. (: just everything he done was amazing && i will never forget him.. i miss him alot :(
    --tracy graber

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have good memories of the time I spent with you and your family many years ago: making books with you, peanut butter and syrup sandwiches when you arrived home from school - you had a clear plan of action for every minute of the day! Your little sisters were so tiny then but they were so precious, too. I remember the last day I spent with you girls being an emotional one for me, knowing it was time to move on but finding it hard to leave you.
    I remember being impacted by both of your parents; your mom and dad were always so reluctant to leave you girls. It was clear that you were the most important part of their lives.
    And a specific memory... well, I recall you getting out a bottle of nail polish and wanting me to paint your nails. I asked you to put it away because I was concerned Briona would get into it. You didn't, and while I was busy with Baleigh she did, and drops of it went all over the kitchen wall; I remember being very cross with you and concerned about what your dad would say when he arrived home. He didn't seem angry though; he had a look and said he could sand it down and paint over it. Then he took you into the other room and I could hear him talking gently and quietly to you. I was humbled by his patience with you and if I remember correctly I think I apologised to you for being angry with you! :)
    I think this blog is a great idea; keep it up! Bless you and lots of love. :)

    ReplyDelete